|16 Calls in Less Than 11 Hours on Thursday for Berwyn First Responders|
|July 18, 2019|
BERWYN, PA - The volunteers and career staff of the Berwyn Fire Company have continued a busy week with 16 calls dispatched in less than 11 hours on Thursday, July 18th between 9:46 a.m. and 8:32 p.m.
After responding to a medical call and 3 fire related calls, firefighters were alerted at 1:32 p.m. to a hazardous materials incident involving a large spill of home heating oil that tied up crews for over 5 hours in the area of Conestoga Rd. and Old Lancaster Rd. in Tredyffrin Township. Numerous fire and EMS incidents took place as this situation was being mitigated.
Just after 4 p.m., EMS covered a call for Radnor Fire Company in the area of Old Eagle School Rd. and Upper Gulph Rd. in Tredyffrin and members of Berwyn's Rapid Intervention Team headed to Phoenixville Borough for a reported house fire. Firefighters were also called out to a large tree that fell bringing down multiple power lines and a telephone pole in the area of Old Lancaster Rd. & N. Lakeside Ave. in Easttown Township around 4:30 p.m.
Berwyn's Quick Response Service (QRS) unit also responded to medical calls on Coldstream Dr. at 1:14 p.m. and Baron DeKalb Rd. at 5:57 p.m. in Tredyffrin, along with a call at Devon Yard at 5:46 p.m. in Easttown. In all instances, QRS personnel were able to start patient care prior to arrival of the ambulance. Upper Merion Township EMS met the QRS unit on the Baron DeKalb Rd. call as other Berwyn first responders were still dealing with the oil spill and two other EMS calls.
Firefighters and EMS personnel headed to Sentry Ln. in Tredyffrin for a reported carbon monoxide alarm at 7:21 p.m. Upon investigation crews detected readings of carbon monoxide in the residence with a multi-gas meter. As this incident was being dealt with, Paoli's Ambulance and Malvern's Paramedic covered a medical call on Cypress Ln. in Tredyffrin at 7:35 p.m.
This was another day that shows how calls can stack up quickly. It also demonstrates the need to foster good relations with mutual aid partners to make the system work for the community.
Thursday, July 18th (9:46 a.m. to 8:32 p.m.) Call Log
1. 9:46 a.m. / Basic Life Support / Tredyffrin Twp. / West Valley Rd.
Municipal Response Breakdown
Tredyffrin Twp. – 10
Overlapping Calls - 12
Mutual Aid Provided
To Radnor Fire Company EMS – 1
Mutual Aid Received
From Paoli Fire Company BLS / Malvern Fire Company ALS – 1
ELECTRICAL SAFETY TIPS
• Do not use candles to light your home or business if you lost power. Flashlights are a safer option.
HOW TO REPORT A PECO GAS/ELECTRICAL EMERGENCY
• If at any time you smell natural gas, see downed power lines on fire or arching, or suspect an unsafe electric or natural gas condition; please leave the area immediately and then call 9-1-1 and PECO at 1-800-841-4141. DO NOT CALL 9-1-1 to tell them your power is out. This is not an emergency.