BFC Offers Fire Safety Tips After Recent Fire Incidents
By Watchdesk
March 7, 2020

BERWYN, PA - The Berwyn Fire Company responded to two recent fire incidents that could have resulted in major property loss or injury.

On February 25th at 4:48 p.m. firefighters were dispatched to Stephens Dr. in the Glenhardie section of the Township for a fire alarm activation. A few minutes later, the Chester County 9-1-1 Center received a call from the homeowner who reported a fire in their kitchen.

An electric stove top had been inadvertently turned on with a crock-pot sitting on top of it. This resulted in a fire starting and activating the nearby smoke detector. The fire caused some fire and smoke damage to the 1st floor of the home. The homeowner was able to use a fire extinguisher to keep the fire contained to the stove top. A total of 10 calls were handled during this 24-period, along with EMS responding to a medical emergency on Leopard Rd. in Easttown when firefighters were on the Stephens Dr. call.

The second incident took place on March 2nd when firefighters were dispatched at 4:38 p.m. to Lizbeth Ln. in the Berwyn section of the Township for an electrical fire. A surge protector overheated and caught fire due to several outlets being used, including a phone charger. The damage was limited to the surge protector and a charger cord/plug.

A total of 10 calls were also responded to in this 24-hour period and at the time of this call EMS was responding to a medical emergency in Chesterbroook.

There are two links posted below from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to help reduce the chances of fire likes these from occurring in your home.

Electrical Safety Tips

Kitchen Fire Safety Tips