BERWYN, PA - The first responders of Berwyn Fire Company are gearing up for Winter Storm Gail. Total snow accumulations of 6 inches or more, along with the potential for ice accumulations of light glaze are expected. In addition, winds will be gusting as high as 35 mph. The potential for power outages and downed trees/power lines is increased with this type of storm event. Please stay updated with the latest weather forecast and prepare accordingly.
FIRE & ELECTRICAL SAFETY TIPS
• Make sure you have working smoke detectors.
• Do not use candles to light your home if you lost power. Flashlights are a safer option.
• Call 9-1-1 if you smell any electrical burning smells in your home, which can sometimes occur after power surges during these types of storm events.
• Always assume power lines are live. This applies to power lines on utility poles as well as those entering your home or buildings. Even momentary contact can injure or kill.
• Always keep yourself, your equipment and anything you carry at least 10 feet from power lines. Even though you may notice a covering on a line, NEVER assume it is safe to touch. Stay Away, Stay Alive!
HOW TO REPORT A PECO GAS/ELECTRICAL EMERGENCY
If at any time you smell natural gas, see downed power lines on fire or arching, or suspect an unsafe electric or natural gas condition; please leave the area immediately and then call 9-1-1 and PECO at 1-800-841-4141. DO NOT CALL 9-1-1 to tell them your power is out. This is not an emergency.
HOW TO REPORT A TREE DOWN/DEBRIS IN THE ROADWAY
Tredyffrin Township - 610-408-3620
Easttown Township - 610-687-3000
ARE YOU USING A GENERATOR TO POWER YOUR HOUSE?
• Generators should be operated in well ventilated locations outdoors away from all doors, windows and vent openings.
• Never use a generator in an attached garage, even with the door open.
• Place generators so that exhaust fumes can't enter the home through windows, doors or other openings in the building.
• Make sure to install carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home. Follow manufacturer's instructions for correct placement and mounting height.
• Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling. Never refuel a generator while it is running.
• Store fuel for the generator in a container that is intended for the purpose and is correctly labeled as such. Store the containers outside of living areas.
Easttown Township - http://www.easttown.org
Tredyffrin Township - http://www.tredyffrin.org
Chester County - http://www.chesco.org
Ready Region - http://www.readynotifypa.org/
Weather Channel - http://www.weather.com
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) - http://www.fema.gov
Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA) - http://www.pema.state.pa.us
American Red Cross – Southeastern Pennsylvania Region - https://www.redcross.org/local/pennsylvania/southeastern-pennsylvania.html