Carbon Monoxide Leak at Arbordeau Condominiums
By WatchDesk
March 30, 2022

BERWYN, PA - The Berwyn Fire Company was dispatched at 7:01 p.m. to the Arbordeau Condominiums — Lfleur Building in Tredyffrin Township for a carbon monoxide alarm.

The crew of Berwyn Engine 2-3 arrived to find high levels of carbon monoxide in the building. After further investigation a total of five buildings were showing signs of the dangerous carbon monoxide gas.

As firefighters began to evacuate residents, additional resources were called from the Radnor Fire Company and Paoli Fire Company. An air unit from the Jefferson Fire Company No. 1 was also requested to fill self-contained breathing apparatus.

Over 25 residents were safely evacuated, which included six with limited mobility and two that needed to be carried outside. One firefighter suffered a minor shoulder injury and two residents feeling ill were evaluated on the scene by Berwyn and Paoli EMS personnel.

The cause of the carbon monoxide was likely due to improper ventilation of mechanical equipment. All resources cleared the scene by 10:30 p.m.

The Newtown Square Fire Company and Good Fellowship Ambulance & EMS Training Institute provided standby fire / EMS coverage at Berwyn’s main station throughout the incident.