BERWYN, PA - The first responders of Berwyn Fire Company are gearing up for Winter Storm Orlena. Total snow accumulations of 8 inches or more, along with the potential for a light glaze ice accumulation is expected. In addition, winds will be gusting as high as 35-45 mph. The potential for power outages and downed trees/power lines is increased with this type of storm event.
This is a long duration event that will begin late tomorrow afternoon/evening and extend into Tuesday morning. Please stay updated with the latest weather forecast and prepare accordingly.
FIRE & ELECTRICAL SAFETY TIPS
• Make sure you have working smoke detectors.
• Do not use candles to light your home if you lost power. Flashlights are a safer option.
• Call 9-1-1 if you smell any electrical burning smells in your home, which can sometimes occur after power surges during these types of storm events.
• Always assume power lines are live. This applies to power lines on utility poles as well as those entering your home or buildings. Even momentary contact can injure or kill.
• Always keep yourself, your equipment and anything you carry at least 10 feet from power lines. Even though you may notice a covering on a line, NEVER assume it is safe to touch. Stay Away, Stay Alive!
HOW TO REPORT A PECO GAS/ELECTRICAL EMERGENCY
If at any time you smell natural gas, see downed power lines on fire or arching, or suspect an unsafe electric or natural gas condition; please leave the area immediately and then call 9-1-1 and PECO at 1-800-841-4141. DO NOT CALL 9-1-1 to tell them your power is out. This is not an emergency.
HOW TO REPORT A TREE DOWN/DEBRIS IN THE ROADWAY
Tredyffrin Township - 610-408-3620
Easttown Township - 610-687-3000
ARE YOU USING A GENERATOR TO POWER YOUR HOUSE?
• Generators should be operated in well ventilated locations outdoors away from all doors, windows and vent openings.
• Never use a generator in an attached garage, even with the door open.
• Place generators so that exhaust fumes can't enter the home through windows, doors or other openings in the building.
• Make sure to install carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home. Follow manufacturer's instructions for correct placement and mounting height.
• Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling. Never refuel a generator while it is running.
• Store fuel for the generator in a container that is intended for the purpose and is correctly labeled as such. Store the containers outside of living areas.
Easttown Township - http://www.easttown.org
Tredyffrin Township - http://www.tredyffrin.org
Chester County - http://www.chesco.org
Ready Region - http://www.readynotifypa.org/
Weather Channel - http://www.weather.com
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) - http://www.fema.gov
Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA) - http://www.pema.state.pa.us
American Red Cross – Southeastern Pennsylvania Region - https://www.redcross.org/local/pennsylvania/southeastern-pennsylvania.html