BERWYN, PA - The Berwyn Fire Company, along with mutual aid from the Paoli Fire Company and Newtown Square Fire Company, was dispatched at 4:19 a.m. to the 300 block of Lenape Dr. in Easttown Township for a house fire.
After being alerted by a battery operated smoke alarm, the 10 occupants safely evacuated prior to the arrival of first responders. Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, a number of family members were present at the home.
The crew of Berwyn Engine 2-3 arrived with a smoke condition inside the single family residence. Berwyn Chief 2 established incident command, while a 'working fire' was declared bringing additional resources to the scene.
Firefighters from Engine 2-3 deployed two hoselines and then located fire in a wall in the 1st floor. The crew of Tower 3 placed ground ladders around the house. The fire was quickly extinguished and crews worked to remove smoke from the residence with fans.
Firefighters from Paoli and Newtown Square assisted with smoke removal and with checking for fire extension in the crawl space and 2nd floor. The air truck from the Gladwyne Fire Company filled air cylinders used by firefighters during the incident.
The Chester County Fire Marshals Office ruled the fire accidental and estimated damages above $60,000. Belfor Property Restoration responded to assist the homeowner with recovery efforts.
A Paoli firefighter suffered a minor leg injury after falling on a pool cover while making entry near the back of the home. They were transported to Paoli Hospital for evaluation and released a few hours later.
The Easttown Township Police Department assisted with traffic control and ensured all occupants had evacuated. All units cleared the scene by 6:30 a.m.